Saturday, September 24, 2005

Post Prom Saturday

Well the Monash Ball (Flame & Frost) has come and gone. Lot said and done, plenty of photos snapped, performances seen, hidden talents shown (for better or for worse). Here are the events that followed the last entry yesterday.

Shortly after finishing the last entry of Friday, Kat called to tell that she, Shermaine and Shooks had finish their session at the saloon. I was unprepared for it and had to rush over to uni to pick them up. Though I had receached uni on time they were still doing stuff in the lab. Waited abit until finally they came out, loaded up their stuff in my car and off we went to Marriot Putrajaya. Saw Rebecca on the way out, honked her to get her attention (apparently she only slept an hour the previous night to finish up an assignment).

Its funny how things start off on a right note, until you run into a problem. The journey there was smooth at first, that was until I totally missed the turning to the highway to the Marriot....missed it by a mile (literally). The next moment, I was stuck on a strecth of highway (unfamiliar to me) with 3 girls in tow in my car. A pretty scary situation, just consider the claw marks from their nails.....Anyway, I was nicely heading down the wrong way, made a detour to Putrajaya itself, passed the Government offices (possibly the Prime Minister's office), even went over that fancy bridge in Putrajaya. As if things couldn't get worse, the sky grew dark...and it was only 5pm. Fortunately, we received some instructions from a policeman (he was busy issuing a summon, but took time to point us in the right direction nonetheless). A not so short drive under his guidance led me to another unfamiliar highway that finally led me to the sole sign that pointed to the Marriot Putrajaya. Thank God!! We only wasted 20 minutes being hopelessly lost in the nations premium IT capital (funds must be allocated to virtual road signs because proper road signs were absent), and arrived at the Marriot.

Thats a mouth full and the night had not even started. There was the matter of checking into the room. The girls had to get their make up done and such. So even though we were there at 5.20pm or so....we only got out of the room by 7.30 latest...


(Arrival at the hotel room. Chaos will soon errupt as this peaceful transforms onto...)

(This....constant shouting for various cosmetic items...more than I can remember in a day. Believe me this picture does no justice to the chaos that was Room 718, Marriot Putrajaya on the 23rd Sept 2005)
















(The final product was 3 absolutely stunning ladies all ready for Monash Ball 2005)

We soon made our way down to the main lobby where a vast away of colourfully dressed people awaited us. It didn't take long to find the rest of the gang, though it was hard to believe that the persons I saw before me where the same people I have been seeing in uni for 3 years of my life.

The ball started rolling, at around 7.45pm. The one thing I thought was really unnerving about the ball was that there was no clear indication of where was the action focused. The opening act was a fine example. The MCs of the night Nigesh and Chi Ho were to appear and make a grand entrance. However, since the ball room was arranged such that the main doors were not in plain sight, I found it difficult to focus. Thinking they would appear at the stage, they had come from behind me instead.

The opening act was a dance routine, the brainchild of Adrian. He, James and several other people were involved for the act, dancing to the tune of Britney Spears in true fashion. The only thing missing was Britney herself.

(Behold, the opening act of Monash Ball 2005, James there taking centre stage with a fellow dancer)

The first meal made a dramatic entrance, though I wish the food was as majestic as the entrance was. What soon followed was a blur of performances by various students. There were notable performances. I liked the performance by 2 biotec girls who sang songs by the Cranberries and Saliva. The song by Saliva was done exceptionally well, an accoustic version of the original song.

Other good performances were performed by Amy Yeoh, who sang 2 songs and the final performance by Basil Foo. I must comment on Basil's extremely good playing of the song "You and Me" by Lifehouse, it was certainly a good song to convince Kat to dance. Well, we didn't really dance, mostly imitating what other people did. But it was good nonetheless. It was the first time I had ever danced with anyone, I guess there's no one better to dance with than your girlfriend.

Sher and Shooks joined the dance floor just when the music was pumped up. I took my leave as I knew I definitely could not handle the dance floor by then. Once we had our fill of dancing, it was out to the lobby where there were still a multitude of people hanging out taking last minute photos before the make up and suits were taken down for the year. So draws a close to ball for this year.

The following is a collection of pics taken during and after the ball.

(Here's Amy during the performance at the ball)


(Ju-Lien, Grace, Jordan and myself posing for the camera)


(A line up of the night's smashing look young ladies)

(It looks like black was the colour to go for the night as demonstrated by Shermaine, Shooks, Kat and Theresa)


(And for a change this a pic with all the guys)

(Here's Kat and myself at the end of the ball)

2 comments:

Philip said...

very memorable nite...wish i could be there...but the stage's deco is disappointing la

JX Chong said...

Yeah, the stage wasn't too well set up. I tell you, all the people going up to receive stuff took such a long time to walk up.