Friday, January 27, 2006

Things are looking up

This little post goes out to point out that drivers in Malaysia are on their absolute worse behaviour. I don't know how low we have sunk, certainly don't know how much lower we can sink, but this is Malaysia (MALAYSIA BOLEH!). Yeah, 'boleh' my foot.

I have never really caught on with the phrase when it was first coined. Just when did it came about? I certainly never sought the phrase for meaningful insight when the world came crashing down... Possibly the phrase was created as a mean of instilling national pride etc. in the hearts of our citizens...Wheee...the marvels of propaganda.

So much for "instilling" national pride. It has pretty much gone down the drain. I think that alot of people what nothing to do with Malaysia at times. I feel hurt at times when I hear someone say "I'm thinking of migrating to Australia". It ticks me off to no end when people say this. Believe me, my list of people taking "permanent" vacations is growing every month.

There's also less and less talk on local stuff. I've been to two gathering with friends and alot of what they talk about relates back to things in Australia.

"Oh, did you take the tram down to A and see B?"

" Why yes! We had lunch at H!!It was specatcular! The burgers were THIS big!!"

"Oh! Comics here are so much cheaper here (Malaysia) than back home. When we convert our money back here, things are SO cheap!!"

"Hey! Meet you up at D! It's only a 20 minutes tram ride from my apartment"

The above are typical examples of conversations that I cannot engage in or have any specific knowledge to contribute to the conversation.

Sometimes I wish to explain to some of my friends that my student days are numbered. Yet, I receive suggestions on how it is so "practical" to shift out and get an apartment in K.L. Certainly that would save me the cost of travelling back and forth from P.J. when I go to work. But why shift out when I just only moved into my house a year or 2 ago? Seriously, I don't see how can the lowly freshgrad in K.L. can match up to the living standards of a prestigious Australian student.

I think aside from the fact that working people and students have very different lifestyles, the main fact is that K.L. is NOT Melbourne or any other city in Australia. We got our traffic jams (
a common thing in our modern world) and wonderful world class public transport system (which fails to live up to the standards of the developed country which we sought to become).

Frankly, with all due respect. I wish to point out that the two different lifestyles led by those students overseas and a soon-to-be salary person is too different. I will miss being a student for sure. I won't say that I want to remain a student former, there are gripes of being a student which I do not wish to repeat. All you still studying out there, will probably gloat as I toil at work. Fewer holidays, unflexible hours, weekends out....I can see 'em all coming...It's to be....Oh, well gotta move on anyway.....

No comments: