Sunday, January 29, 2006

CNY Day 2006

Ahh...its new years day. CNY has always been about tradition. The Visiting, the angpow collecting, seeing relatives, angpow collecting from them, more angpow collecting......angpows......Ok, maybe for most of us, angpows are the best things to happen this season. While our parents always remind us to save up, put them red packets in safe places (so that our greedy little hands can't reach 'em easily, places like the bank).

This year is a little differnt for me. It's a Sunday, hence Church comes into the schedule. Not much of a change really aside from going to grandparent's place slightly later than usual. The sole change that makes this CNY different from the rest, is that I will no longer be going to my grandaunt's place in Ampang Hilir. I've always looked forward to this event, as most of the cousin's that I know best (and are wihtin the same age group) are present. This is by far, the highlight of CNY, where everyone from my grandmother's side will gather at my grandaunt's residence in Ampang hilir (it being the biggest house amongst family members).

I can remember playing videogames (envying my cousins with the latest systems) and talking to my cousins whilst collecting angpows (yes, again) from my many relatives. Of course, since the family is big, I tend not to mix with a couple of relatives and give an obligatory nod or calling a person uncle or aunty when approached.

Yes, now those days are gone forever. My grandaunt had passed away earlier this year. So, as according to Chinese tradition (of what little I know of), the other family members are obliged to visit the elder's (who happens to be my grandma) home. Being the youngest of her four sisters, she is now also the last.

Ok, so enough with the old remenancing and such. I'm begining to sound old. In anycase, that was to pay tribute to my late grandaunt and thank her for graciously hosting CNY for 21 years.

Tonight's dinner was home cooked (if you haven't figured out, alot of Chinese shops are closed). So here are a few pics of dinner. Yum.

The Table is set!

In the words of Oliver, 'Food! Glorious Food!'

Later after dinner, went to One U to watch Fearless (a martial arts staring Jet Li, noted to be his last martial arts movie). One U surprisingly was not devoid of life as I had imagined. There were still alot of people up at the cinemas and at the few restaurants that bothered to open for business.

One U's Old Wing


One U's new section with it's American Gladiator like playground hanging in midair.

I was surprised to bump into Tze Lin after taking this pic. She was walking off to dinner with her mother, so I decided not to hold them back too long. Just a quick 'hi' and 'bye'. It's funny how I almost always meet people in One U. The cinema's (both TGV and GSC) were rather packed with movie goers going in and out.

Lines were still long. This was taken at 9.35pm CNY. Read that carefully.
What's wrong with these people?! Don't they balik kampung?

A side note, this new year's fireworks display was a real disappointment. The sky was hardly lit up at all. Just a few pops here and there. Nothing spectacular. Peh, CNY this year surely is different from the rest. Gotta get used to it. It's here to stay, change I mean.

No comments: