Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My rainy little Valentine

Ok. It is the 15th not the 14th of Feb. One day after Valentines (that over publisized and commercialized day). Yes, I believe we can all breathe a sigh of relief (couples and non-couples alike). No longer do we have to be overly tense over the coming of the dreaded V-day. Personally, Vday really puts the stakes up pretty high, with our expectations pretty much up there.

Yesterday, of all days had to rain really really hard just as I was on my way down to KL to pick Kat up. Gosh....if only God pick another day to rain down on K.L. I would appreciate it if He did. But what is done is done. Anyways, the general formula for such a situation would be:

Rain + K.L. = Jam + Stress + Major migraine

Yes, being stuck in downtown rush hour traffic was not the perfect way to spend Valentines, but I got through it nonetheless. Big surprise that Sungai Besi was flooded with cars, not to mention that the Kampung Pandan round-about was flooded under the bridge (3 lanes reduced to one).

Took me a whole hour to reach Kat's place. Was still raining so her dad had to shelter her under an umbrella. Used an alternate route to KLCC. Proved to be alot faster and smoother. Was a real relief that I didn't have to hit another jam.

Had a small lite dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. Sadly, I think I was far from picking the best dishes for the night. Will have to do more research on the food next time round so as to make better decisions.

Managed to get to the Philharmonic in time. Were actually wondering what to do cause we were really early. Didn't realise the Philharmonic is just directly above that big lobby in the middle of KLCC. The hall was smaller than I expected it to be really. But the facilities around looked presentable and not a tad shady.

The performance for the evening was entitled, The English Concert featuring pieces that would have been played in a typical 18th century English setting. Didn't recognise many pieces (close to none), but was impressed by the sound quality and over all performance. The lead violinist was pretty passionate with his playing. He was twisting his head left and right so much I thought that it may come right off mid way through the performance. Fancy that.

The muscians played on for over 45 minutes before the intermission (can see that alot of people were "holding back"). The playing resumed until 10.30pm. The second part of the performance didn't have the same impact of the first half mainly because alot of the pieces sounded alike (I'm no music critic so don't shoot me!).

There goes my Valentine of 2006, certainly could have been better but I'm glad the way it turned out in the end.

Oh, my second review was out in the papers today. Hopefully the publishings would be more frequent now. Now, I must get back on my next review.


No comments: