Monday, March 06, 2006

Oh the glitz and glamour!! It's the Oscars!!


Yes, folks its the Oscars today! Well, I would normally scorn the Oscars. I always found that the choices of the Oscars always sway to whatever is most popular and driven (look up Lord of the Rings). Very often the Oscars choose movies that not shown in Malaysia AT ALL. I blame this ALL on the choice of movies shown here. Very often, thought provoking films (no I'm talking about Daredevil) are subjected to the scrutiny of our bloody lame, imbecilic Censorship Board.

Well, enough of blasting one of Malaysia's fine examples of "excellence". The awards are all said and done. All that is left is to watch the reruns (yes MOST of us were out during the day when the Oscars was aired) and engage in interesthing discussions about which movies deserved the awards.

My movie viewing experience has largely been static limited to outtings with friends and such. As of late, I've been paying frequent visits to the cinema (and local DVD seller) to get my hands (eyes too) on some of the nominated films. These are some of the nominated films I watched:

-Crash
-Pride & Prejudice
-Walk the Line
-Syrianna
-The Constant Gardner
-Corpse Bride
-Howl's Moving Castle
-King Kong
-Memoirs of a Geisha
-The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

I must say I have never watched so many movies that were lined up for Oscars. I seriously did NOT expect Crash to win! A pleasent surprise to me. My initial impression of Crash was that it was rather crude and vulgar. As it progressed, I could see that the movie was projecting something more than racial discriminition. Instead, it looks at human beings in general not the exterior image of each person. What I liked most about the film was the fact that each character portrayed has a redeeming point/ fall from grace at some point in the show. So congrats to Crash!

Crash wins 3 Oscars!

No comments: