Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Now something completely different....

Yes, it has come to a time when blogging can no longer be about what I do on a daily basis. I believe, though I have not heard, that my work does not allow me to liberally talk about the stories i report and pictures that I took during such events. So yes, move away from work and on to other things like hobbies and interests.

Lets see....Oh. Just want to talk about this really great anime series that I watched recently, Planetes. The one thing that attracted me to this series was the term "space garbage man". Come to think of it, I never thought that collecting rubbish in space was an interesting subject matter. In fact, it has been a while since I've watched a serious show, instead of all those generic genre nonsense like teenagers that pilot gigantic robots or ten year old boys teaching middle school girls.

So...what is so intriguing about people collecting garbage in space? Well, imagine this. You see a space ship transporting passengers as you would see in any commercial airlines. Suddenly an object appears from the horizon, hurtling towards the ship. Its not an alien spacecraft, neither is it a missle. Its just a small bolt. However, while the object is extremely small it is moving at a speed of 8km/h, thus allowing it to smash the windscreen of the ship. Depressurization occurs, forcing the ship to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere to regain control.

That was certainly one of the most momentous opening sequences I have ever seen in an anime. How one small object can cause so much damage. Space debris is a real problem in space exploration, even by today's standards. So yeah, for the next couple of posts I will be talking about space debris and stuff...that goes around space. Space out.....

No comments: