Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Understanding Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop 101.....I don't get it!!

Its hard to come up with something to talk about in your daily life especially since most of my days are spent at home. Either playing games of reading comic book scans. So hey, add some variety to my life. Take up classes for something. Infact thats what I did. Just sat for my first Mandarin class today. A lil' difficult in meeting the teacher's expectations, but I believe this time I should be able to pull it off. Enough that I don't look like a damn fool infront of all the Chinese-speaking people I will meet in years to come. Its never a good impression if you don't speak their language. So much for using Hakka.

The title of today's rant was inspired by an article that I read in the local papers. What is it with the music industry these days? Tune into radio, chances are there will be a hip hop song playing, or an artist that has changed their style to suit the desire of the masses. E.g. Mariah Carey, if any of us remember the songs she sung in the late 90s, and now, its totally different. Her style has moved to predominately hip hop/ R&B. Honestly speaking, I cannot differentiate between the 2. I cannot help but feel that some artists are conforming to the most prominent style.

With that said, I cannot understand the pull of Rap/ Hip-Hop. Much of the lyrics focuses on bling-bling (whatever that means), money, success, fame and getting laid with as many girls as possible. Oh, lets not forget sport cars and fancy mansions. If you've watched one generic Rap music video, chances are, you've seen them all. They prominently display women strutting their "assets" around, while acting as slutty as possible around the rapper. Putting their hands all over him, worshipping him even. Gosh, its no wonder nut jobs, like a certain former drug dealer turned rapper, can get away with success. Hey, their lives are so full of shit, why not make it into a movie? Whats that show again? Something about getting rich or dying? If not for the fact that I don't get any of the lyrics at all, I'm utterly turned off by the focus on materialism of this particular music genre.

Now, thats not to say that other genre's are spared. They are not sparkling clean and white that you can't spot a black dot in any of their lyrics, but at least they are not promoting it all out like the aforementioned genre.

Judging this, its probably best to listen to music by itself. Without the cumbersome lyrics getting in the way. Appreciate the score, tones, whatever that makes a certain tune good. When I get tired of listening to lyrics, I listen to game music. Now, thats totally unheard off. Most people are unlikely to come across this rather rare and unheard of genre if they have not played any games or have been exposed to it (again depending on whether they've played a game). They are blops, and blips as most people think of. Many sites point out that this genre has moved way beyond the common misconception that people have in their minds. The genre often takes up full orchestras to make up the soundtrack of a game. Take into account the mood swings: peaceful, suspenseful, battle sequences and there's plenty of variety there itself.

Woah, looks like I have worned out my keyboard. Haven't typed this much since.....last week I guess. Here's to more pointless topics and a more active blog!!

No comments: